According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), more than 400,000 trucking accidents occur each year in the United States. Weighing up to 80,000 pounds, commercial trucks are much larger than passenger vehicles and are therefore more likely to cause serious injuries or death in the event of an accident.
The FMCSA reports that the number of truck accidents has increased by 20 percent over the past two decades. If you were injured in a truck accident, the Philadelphia truck accident lawyers at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. are here to help. We are experienced in representing those injured in all types of truck accidents, including rear-end, head-on, underride, lost load, T-bone, rollover, jackknife, and tire blowout crashes.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Trucking companies are responsible for maintaining trucks, training drivers, and ensuring compliance with trucking industry rules and regulations. The FMCSA Hours of Service regulation limits the amount of hours truck drivers can be on duty and requires truck drivers to take scheduled breaks to avoid driving fatigue.
However, sometimes truck drivers or the companies they work for do not uphold their legal obligations and people are injured or killed as a result of their negligence.
Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Drowsy driving – Demanding driving schedules and lack of sleep can lead to drowsy driving, which can be just as dangerous as drunk driving. According to the FMCSA, up to 28 percent of truck drivers suffer from sleep apnea, a common underlying cause of drowsy driving.
- Distracted driving – In 2015, 3,477 people were killed, and 391,000 people were injured in distracted driving accidents, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The number of driving distractions continues to increase with emerging technology.
- Drug use – Trucking companies are required to screen potential hires and employees for drug use. When they fail to do so, impaired truck drivers pose a serious threat to themselves and others on the road.
- Inadequate training – Many truck accidents are attributable to inexperienced drivers. Drivers who do not receive adequate training may not be equipped to deal with the unique challenges of driving a truck such as limited maneuverability and visibility.
- Equipment problems – Trucking companies are responsible for the maintenance of the truck including the tires, brakes, transmission and lighting. Failure to perform adequate maintenance may lead to catastrophic accidents due to equipment malfunction or failure.
- Unsecured cargo – Trucks often carry heavy loads of cargo. Unbalanced, unsecured, or overloaded cargo can fall off a truck and strike another vehicle.
The truck accident lawyers at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. are dedicated to holding negligent truck drivers or trucking companies responsible and obtaining maximum compensation for victims of truck accidents.
Determining Liability in Truck Accident Cases
Liability in truck accident cases is dependent upon the cause (or causes) of the accident. Truck drivers, trucking companies, freight companies, truck or equipment manufacturers, truck repair shops, and other parties may all be held responsible if their negligence caused the accident.
How much compensation a plaintiff can recover is also dependent upon the state in which the accident took place. Further, claims must be filed according to the legal requirements and within the statute of limitations of each state.
It is therefore important for anyone injured in a truck accident to contact an attorney who is knowledgeable about the law in their geographical area. At Freedman & Lorry, P.C. we have extensive experience handling cases throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and North Carolina.
The Philadelphia truck accident lawyers at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. are skilled in determining the causes of truck accidents so that negligent parties can be held accountable and victims can recover necessary compensation for their injuries.
Philadelphia Truck Accident Lawyers at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. Represent Victims of All Types of Truck Accidents
If you were injured in a truck accident, contact a Philadelphia truck accident lawyer at Freedman & Lorry, P.C.
We can help you determine the cause of the accident, hold negligent parties accountable and recover compensation for your injuries. We represent clients throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and North Carolina from our offices in Philadelphia, Cherry Hill and Pinehurst. For a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 888-999-1962.