Car accidents are the cause of thousands of injuries and deaths in the U.S. each year. Pennsylvania Department of Transportation statistics reveal that in 2016, Pennsylvania was the site of 129,395 reportable traffic crashes, 1,188 of which were fatal. With over 120,000 miles of roads and highways, Pennsylvania is the site of approximately 355 reportable traffic crashes daily.
Even the safest and most responsible drivers can be involved in a crash caused by someone else’s negligence. When pursuing your personal injury claim, it is important to select a lawyer that is both experienced and knowledgeable about personal injury law in your geographical area. For over 65 years, Freedman & Lorry, P.C. has provided high quality legal services across a broad range of practice areas.
Causes of Car Accidents
Some accidents can be attributed to inclement weather or hazardous road conditions. However, studies show that driver error is the primary factor in most crashes. Some of the most common causes of these preventable car accidents include:
- Drunk driving – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 28 people in the U.S. die every day due to drunk drivers. Alcohol intoxication causes impaired reaction time, alertness and judgment, all of which can lead to a serious car accident.
- Distracted driving – The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that 3,477 people were killed in distracted driving accidents in 2015. However, distracted driving is one of the most under-reported causes of car accidents because it is often difficult to detect.
- Drowsy driving – Drowsy driving can be just as dangerous as drunk driving. Drivers who have not gotten enough sleep may experience driving skill impairments similar to the effects of alcohol intoxication.
- Speeding – Speeding is an especially common cause of car accidents among teenagers. Traveling at a high rate of speed can increase the risk of catastrophic and fatal injuries.
- Failure to abide by traffic laws – Many car accidents are caused when a driver does not follow traffic laws. Failure to yield, improperly drifting out of one’s lane or following a car too closely can lead to head-on, side-impact, rear-end and other types of collisions.
The Philadelphia car accident lawyers at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. can help you determine the cause of your accident so negligent parties can be held responsible. We work with insurance companies, medical professionals and forensic experts to ensure that our clients obtain the compensation they deserve. The amount of damages a plaintiff will be able to recover depends on various circumstances of the case, including the severity of the injuries sustained.
Injuries from Car Accidents
According to the NHTSA, more than three million people across the country are injured in car accidents each year. Car accident victims may suffer various injuries, including:
- Fatal injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Internal injuries
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Permanent disfigurement
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
Compensation for Car Accident Injuries
At Freedman & Lorry, P.C., we understand the devastating toll car accidents take on victims and their families. Our Philadelphia car accident attorneys are dedicated to representing accident victims and we fight to obtain maximum compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
To recover compensation, personal injury plaintiffs must file their claim within their state’s statute of limitations. The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim in Pennsylvania and New Jersey is typically two years from the date of the accident, whereas in North Carolina it is generally three years from the date of the accident. The experienced attorneys at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. are knowledgeable about the statute of limitations as well as other procedural requirements for personal injury claims in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and North Carolina.
Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. Represent Victims of All Types of Car Accidents
If you were injured in a car accident, contact an experienced Philadelphia car accident lawyer at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. From our offices in Philadelphia, Cherry Hill and Pinehurst, we represent clients throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and North Carolina. Contact us online or call us at 888-999-1962 to arrange a free consultation.